Directions For Disciples

This is a summary of the weekly Sunday School lesson, in my own words.I hope this gives you the general idea, of the lessons main objective.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Called To Love

In the Greek language there was no root word for love. There was no pagan word, because love wasn't a pagan concept. If you notice, in the scripture they only use the word charity. In the scriptures posted below. I can replace the word charity with love, and get a clearer understanding. Paul instructs us in all that we do. Love is the greatest virtue of all.

1 Corinthians 13
1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.


Regardless of how appealing or intelligent, the conversation may sound. If you don't exhibit love in what you say. You're just talking loud and saying nothing. A cymbal was used as an analogy. It is the simplest musical instrument known. It doesn't require any special knowledge or training. It just makes a noise. Paul was one very knowledgeable of the truth. He was the only apostle who didn't walk with Jesus. He received his ordination, on the road to Damascus. I think that would make him eminently qualified. Here he declares without love, it means nothing.

1 Corinthians 13:3

3And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.


You can do wonderful things in the eyes of man, but ultimately it doesn't matter. God truly does know your heart. This takes me back to the story of Cain and Abel. When they offered their sacrifices to the lord. It wasn't the gift, but the spirit in which it was given. It doesn't take much to give a lot, if you have much more. Why did you give? Was it to look good in the eyes of man, or was it from your heart?


1 Corinthians 13:4-7:

4Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.


The Corinthians exhibited many of the same shortcomings, Christians exhibit today. The appearance of love isn't evident in our lives. Like it wasn't in theirs. Love is not impatient. It's not in hurry. It is kind and not envious. Love is not driven by your ego. It doesn't lead you to always expect the worse. You look for the good in all situations. Not to the point of being gullible though. Love won't find consolation in unrighteousness. It requires that you have hope and belief, as you endure the trials of life

1 Corinthians 13:8-13:

8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.


When all else fails, love will prevail. What we know is limited and reaches it's end. Our faith and what we await, is perfect in it's design. In the end all these earthly things will come to pass. Here the difference in being a child and an adult is used to demonstrate maturity. Even at our brightest point. We still don't have the full understanding, but we must forge ahead. In all that you retain. The most important thing is love.